Meter Replacement Programme
NIE Networks maintains the meters at the properties of all customers across Northern Ireland no matter who your supplier is. As part of this service:
- We have an ongoing meter replacement programme.
- We replace all types of meters after a prescribed period of time.
- Different types of meter are required to be changed at different intervals.
- The Department for the Economy (DfE) has confirmed that it will proceed with developing a plan to implement electricity smart meters in Northern Ireland (NI). NIE Networks will continue to support the DfE as it develops this planning for the introduction of smart metering in NI.
- The meters being installed are upgraded digital display meters that are approved to European Standards.
Who is carrying out the work?
- NIE Networks staff will be carrying out this work. All meter installers have completed comprehensive training and are fully qualified electricians.
- A meter installer will visit your premises and either change the meter or leave a card with a contact number to make an appointment to replace your meter.
- In some cases, for example, where there is access to the meter in an outdoor meter box or enclosure, it may be changed while you are not at home. A card will be left to advise you that it has been changed.
How do I know they are working on behalf of NIE?
- All employees of NIE Networks will carry identification, wear identifiable uniforms and drive marked vehicles.
- If you are unsure and want to confirm the identity of a meter installer, please use the PSNI's Quick Check scheme
- If you would like to ask us a question, please contact us or get in touch by calling our customer helpline on 03457 643 643.