Facilitation of Energy Storage Services (FESS)
The increased connection of generation and low carbon technologies on the distribution network has presented significant challenges to NIE Networks. We are experiencing thermal constraints due to power flows at times of peak demand, voltage constraints due to renewable generation, and an unpredictability of load and generation due to the intermittent nature of renewable generation and LCTs.
Energy storage can absorb energy at times of high generation and low demand, and release energy at times of peak demand. Customers offering Energy Storage Services (ESS) therefore have the potential of deferring network reinforcement and accommodating the connection of further demand or generation which would otherwise be constrained by thermal capacity. ESS can also play in the System Services market helping to balance demand and generation.
The FESS project will set the framework to enable the integration of customer owned ESS to the Northern Ireland network. It will identify and seek to overcome barriers that are currently present to the deployment of energy storage on the network and identify opportunities where ESS could provide wider customer benefits.
Following a market survey which was conducted in Q3 2020, NIE Networks are seeking to engage with stakeholders once again through the FESS Consultation. This consultation puts forward a more focused set of questions that aim to gauge stakeholders’ opinion of the specific solutions put forward in the FESS programme of work and of the FESS project as a whole.
NIE Networks invites interested parties to respond to this Consultation Paper. Responses should be sent electronically to Josh.Watson@nienetworks.co.uk by 4pm on Friday 16th July 2021.
Download FESS Consultation
The key objectives of the FESS project are to:
- Perform a market evaluation of ESS providers in NI (Q3 2020)
- Identify potential use cases for ESS in NI
- Identify barriers to the wider deployment of ESS in NI
- Develop solutions to the identified barriers and consult on the proposed changes
- Taking account of the feedback from the consultation, implement the solutions
Fess Summary Report
To learn more about the FESS project click the link below.
Work Completed to Date
- Ricardo awarded consultancy contract to support the project.
- Completed the Technology Assessment phase.
- Market Evaluation survey completed - the responses are being analysed. A subsequent consultation will follow in Q1 2021.
If you have any questions regarding the FESS project please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org