Skip to main content
  • What is the cost of a new electricity connection?

    For a definite quotation/price you will need to fill out an application form. For general pricing please consult our Statement of Charges. Indicative costs for connection are provided in within the Statement of Charges. These schedules provide typical costs for the main items of expenditure (excluding VAT) for a new or modified connection to the Network.

  • What is NIE Networks' Statement of Charges?

    NIE Networks Statement of Charges sets out the connections process and provides a comprehensive list of indicative costs for all types of connections to the network. If you apply for a connection, your quotation will be based on the costs outlined in our schedules.

  • What is an MPRN?

    A meter point reference number (or MPRN) is a unique 11 digit number to identify your address that is used by suppliers to check the incoming supply details for individual premises.You need this number if you are getting a first time electricity connection to new premises.

    If you have an existing supply, you will find your MPRN number on the card left by your meter reader or it may be found on the bill from your electricity supplier. The MPRN is unique to individual premises and will never change.  The first two digits are always 81.

    You will find your MPRN number on the card left by your meter reader, it can be found on the bill from your electricity supplier or you can message us on WhatsApp.

    Scan the QR code with your mobile phone to chat to us on WhatsApp now.

    Chat On WhatsApp
  • Can I register with NIE Networks as my supplier?

    NIE Networks owns the electricity transmission and distribution network. View a list of suppliers or the utility regulator website.

  • Where can I locate scaled map drawings?

    These should be available from your local library or request it from the Ordnance Survey.

  • What is an Irish grid reference?

    This is a 12 digit grid x and y coordinates to accurately identify your address. You may find these on your approved architectural drawings or online.

  • How long does a new connection take?

    Every connection is different and timescales will vary depending on the requirements of your connection. Connecting a new home may take between 6-12 weeks. If third party consents are required this can take up to 9 months to complete.

  • Where should I send my completed application for a new connection?

    Completed application forms should be sent to our central connections team. The postal address is:

    Connections Customer Liaison
    NIE Networks
    120 Malone Road
    BT9 5HT

    We will acknowledge receipt of your application and advise you from which of our three local depots your application will be handled.

  • How can I pay for my connection?

    We accept three methods of payment:

    • Cheque -  made payable to Northern Ireland Electricity Networks Limited
    • Bank transfer or BACs payment - contact us to get our bank details
    • Pay Online - please ensure you have your invoice to hand with your account and invoice numbers. 
  • How can I get my meter backboard replaced?

    To move or alter the meter or meter backboard, please call our helpline on 03457643643

  • How can I get my meter box moved?

    To move or alter a meter box, please complete an alteration application form.

  • Has my application been received?

    If you have not received a letter from us with your job number within 5-10 working days from when your application was sent, please get in touch or contact 03457 643 643.

  • How do I get a supply disconnected?

    To move or alter any piece of NIE Networks equipment please complete a disconnection application form.

  • My job required third party consents, what does this mean and how long will it take?

    If your connection requires electricity equipment to be sited on other people’s land, we will need to get the permission of the landowner or government bodies before we can proceed. This can sometimes take up to 9 months or longer and we may need to re-quote for your job.

  • I'm downsizing a high load appliance, which application form should I complete?

    To change your load requirements, please complete a load change application form.

  • I'm installing an appliance that needs more power, which application form should I complete?

    To change the load requirements because you are installing an appliance that needs more power such as electric heating or a ground source heat pump, please complete a load change application form

  • I'm installing new earthing, which application form should I complete?

    To move or alter any piece of NIE Networks equipment please complete an alteration application form.

  • I'm replacing our main fuse because you need more power, which application form should I complete?

    To change your load requirements, please complete a load change application form.

  • What is a connection card and where can I get one?

    A connection card is a single page document completed by your electrical contractor which certifies that the electrical installation within your property is safe and complies with wiring regulations.

    To ensure we can connect your meter which is the last step in connecting you to the network, you will need to register with an electricity supplier and submit your connection card to us.

  • The construction work for my connection is done but I still don’t have electricity?

    If your onsite construction work is complete you will need to register with a supplier and complete a connection card. Once this has been completed, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to install your meter.

  • Can I have multiple supplies at various points within my site / farm?

    We cannot provide more than one point of supply onto any site due to safety concerns. Each application will be reviewed on a site specific basis.

  • What happens if you can't get permission from another landowner for my connection to cross their land?

    We will always try to get ‘wayleave’ permission from third party land owners. Sometimes landowners may not permit the installation of additional equipment on their land in which case we may propose an alternative route. This can often result in additional charges being incurred. If you want to discuss this with us, please get in touch.

  • What is the maximum capacity machine you can connect to a single phase supply?

    It is possible to connect up to 17kW maximum to a single phase supply.  Above this capacity a three phase supply is required.

  • What type of quotation do you provide?

    If you are at an early stage of purchasing a site or planning a development, we can provide you with an estimate of likely connection costs through a feasibility study. You should be aware that a feasibility study does not reserve network capacity for a particular project, and we cannot guarantee that a connection will be available when making a formal application for connection.

    If you have finalised your requirements, obtained DOE Planning Approval and are ready to enter into a contract with us to provide your connection, we can give you a formal quotation. Click here to register for an Generation Connection application pack.

  • When will I need to pay for my connection?

    Initially you will need to pay the cost for your connection application fee only. We will then send you out a quote for the cost of your connection. If you accept the quote (within 90 days) then a 20% deposit must be paid immediately for us to continue to process your application. The final balance will be required before construction commences.

  • What is the Maximum Import Capacity (MIC)

    The Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) is the maximum amount of electricity that you will use in any half hour, in any day. This figure helps NIE to design a new electricity connection to meet your needs.

  • I am completing the excavation and reinstatement works for my connection, where can I source solid smooth walled ducting that NIE Networks requires to be installed?

    There are two stockists who stock approved ducting listed below:

    The stockists are:
    13A Blaris Industrial Estate
    Altona Road
    Lisburn BT27 5QB
    Tel: 02892 660000

    The Pipe Crew Ltd
    1 Nutfield Road
    Co. Fermanagh
    BT92 0LB
    Tel: 028 677 21336 / 07880 796 951

  • What is a Temporary Supply?

    A Temporary supply is a connection at low voltage provided for a limited period of time and is not permanent. Where NIE Networks provide a temporary supply then the work required to both connect and disconnect the temporary supply will be outlined within your terms letter. Please note that a temporary supply is made for the duration of your construction project, granted for a period or multiple period not exceeding 12 months. The supply will therefore be scheduled for disconnection by NIE Networks, no later than 12 months from connection. It may be possible to request an extension to this 12 month period where reasonable justification is provided.

  • Statement on BS7671 (18th Edition) Surge Protection


    As part of the 18th Edition IET wiring regulations an onus has been put on electrical designers to consider surge protection (against transient overvoltages due to atmospheric or switching conditions) as part of the electrical installation. To fulfil their obligations this can require them to seek information from the network operator.

    In the case of new connections, this information may be obtained from the design proposal, but as the electrical network is continually changing it would be almost impossible as a network operator to give the exact information for each property and to continually revise this in the event of a local network change. Therefore, any information provided has to be at a point in time and be general to the area.

    To complete the necessary designs the designer requires information on the connecting conductor arrangement for the first kilometre. E.g. LV, HV, overhead, underground, or to the nearest installed overvoltage protective device.

    Therefore the worst condition should be assumed of LPAL = 1km


    Section 443 of BS7671 – Protection Against Transient Overvoltages Of Atmospheric Origin Or Due To Switching

    This states the requirement for overvoltage control and makes reference to performing a risk assessment based on the first kilometre of the electrical supply network or the nearest installed overvoltage protective device in the power network from the premises.

    Sub section 443.5 Risk assessment method

    • The Calculated Risk Level is given by the following formula CRL=Fenv/(Lp x Ng)
    • Fenv is an environmental factor selected according to Table  443.1 in BS7671.
    • Ng is the lightning ground flash density(flashes per km2 per year) relevant to the location of the power line and connected structure  (See Figure 44.2 shown in BS7671)
    • Lp is the risk assessment length in km. Lp = 2 LPAL + LPCL + 0.4 LPAH + 0.2 LPCH (km)


    • LPAL is the length (km) of low voltage overhead line. (Assume LPAL = 1)
    • LPCL is the length (km) of low voltage underground cable. (Assume LPCL =0)
    • LPAH is the length (km) of high voltage overhead line. (Assume LPAH =0)
    • LPCH is the length (km) of high voltage underground cable. (Assume LPCH =0)

    In relation to the network operator it is impractical to maintain these records and update the relevant parties whenever the network changes. Therefore the worst condition should be assumed of LPAL = 1km and this will lead to a worst condition Lp of 2.

    As the main driver for the formula in Northern Ireland will be whether the premises are located in a rural/suburban location or in an urban location. The assumption LPAL = 1km will ensure that the designer and the end user are best served.

    References BS7671:2018 © The The Institution of Engineering and Technology and BSI.