How do I keep equipment safe during a power cut?

    At NIE Networks, one of our main priorities is to ensure that you have an uninterrupted supply of electricity. Electricity networks often have power cuts and voltage fluctuations which are outside of our control. 

    Our network is designed to keep voltage within statutory limits. However, it is not technically feasible to design and build a network that will not be subject to some level of power cuts and voltage fluctuations.

    We work continually to reduce disruptions to electricity supplies and we quickly restore power when problems occur. We cannot control power cuts such as those caused by severe weather.  We implement measures to maintain power quality and improve our network.

    What you can do to protect your equipment?

    Safe and effective use of electricity also depends on the quality of your household electrical installation including wiring. There are steps you can take to protect your electrical appliances:
    • Purchase electrical equipment that comply with the British Standards Institution
    • Give attention to where the items are stored and how they are ventilated
    • Unplug electrical items when you experience an interruption to your electricity supply
    • Fit surge protection devices to sensitive appliances such as computers and televisions. These can be purchased from your local DIY store or electrical retailer.

    Fit a UPS device

    In addition for businesses, the fitting of an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) or a similar device can protect equipment such as computers and tablets, televisions, alarm systems, central heading time clocks and TV cable boxes from damage by over-voltage or under-voltage.

    These protection devices should meet the National Standards set by the British Standards Institution. Three-phase equipment can be fitted with protection that disconnects all phases of supply in the event of low voltage or loss of power. Make sure your insurance policy is up to date and that it covers damage to electrical appliances.

    Seek professional advice

    Installations, appliances, fuse boards and wiring should comply with BS 7671 'Requirements for Electrical Installation Contracting'. Any alterations should be made by an electrical contractor who is a member of a recognised regulatory body.