Trees, branches and other flying debris have brought down power lines and poles. NIE Networks Incident Management Centre at Craigavon is open, as are NIE Networks’ Local Incident Centres in Enniskillen, Craigavon, Belfast, Newry, Downpatrick and Bangor are open, co-ordinating the local restoration efforts.
If you are without power and you have not yet reported the disruption to NIE Networks, please report the fault online at nienetworks.co.uk or call our Customer Helpline on 03457 643 643. Put safety first and if you do see any trees down across powerlines or broken electricity poles, keep away and call NIE Networks immediately.
Updated information will be provided regularly and NIE Networks has asked that customers listen to their radios or visit our website (nienetworks.co.uk) for updates.
Julia Carson, NIE Networks Communications Manager, said: "We advise customers to keep mobile phones charged and have batteries available for torches in case they experience power cuts. NIE Networks will be working into the night to do all that we can to restore electricity supplies to our customers as quickly and safely as we can. However, it is likely that the majority of repairs will start at first light tomorrow morning when the winds have abated and it is safe for our emergency teams and engineers to work.
“Safety is paramount – if you do see lines down, contact NIE Networks immediately on 03457 643 643.”
NIE Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
- never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away - report damage to NIE Networks on 03457 643 643 and listen to recorded messages carefully
- if you are using a generator, be careful where you site it in case of carbon monoxide poisoning
- turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
- leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
- take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
- test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
- ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.