Storm Doris hits the electricity network

23/02/2017
Over the last hour Storm Doris has caused damage to the electricity network in Northern Ireland – particularly in southern areas. At present approximately 8,000 customers are without electricity but NIE Networks expects this number to rise as the morning progresses.

Trees and branches falling onto overhead electricity lines is the main cause of the damage. NIE Networks are currently assessing the extent of the damage to the electricity network, preparing a restoration plan and making arrangements to move staff and equipment to where they are most needed. Repair work will begin as soon as it is safe to do so. Planned work in many areas has already been cancelled and operational staff are being redeployed to help the repair efforts.

Customers can call our helpline on 03457 643 643 to report faults or report online. Further information on fault restoration is available on our website and we will be issuing information via Twitter @NIElectricity.

Sara McClintock, NIE Networks’ Communications, said: "We are already in position to get customers back on supply as quickly as humanly possible consistent with safety, and to keep customers regularly updated and informed. Our local incident centres have been open from early morning and additional repair teams are being drafted into the areas where they are most needed.”

NIE Networks is also reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
•    never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away - report damage to NIE Networks on 03457 643 643 and listen to recorded messages carefully
•    if you are using a generator, be careful where you site it in case of carbon monoxide poisoning
•    turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
•    leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
•    take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
•    test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
•    ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.