The key areas affected are Counties Fermanagh, Armagh and Down with the Newcastle, Kilkeel and Rostrevor areas with the highest number of faults.
Sara McClintock, NIE Networks’ Communications, said: "We now have plans in place to restore power to all customers affected by Storm Doris’ strong winds this morning. Power will be restored tonight or the early hours of tomorrow morning for some small, isolated pockets of customers. Customers can call our helpline on 03457 643 643, visit our website – nienetworks.co.uk – or follow us on Twitter @NIElectricity for more updates on their individual faults.”
NIE Networks is also reminding customers:
- never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away - report damage to NIE Networks on 03457 643 643 and listen to recorded messages carefully
- if you are using a generator, be careful where you site it in case of carbon monoxide poisoning
- turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
- leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
- take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
- test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
- ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.